Saturday, August 28, 2010


I found out that we were having a kid on October 3rd 2008. It seems like yesterday.

Things went pretty fast. It didn't help that I had decided to get out of the Navy, find a job 3 hrs away and manage all the other day to day frustrations and craziness. Dawn did wonderfully. She really took care of herself and always put the baby's health first. I don't know that I could have the same dedication to it as she has. I mean really, I have to give up beer?

Well round about mid-June things started to fall into place. It seemed like she was at the Dr's office every day and they kept saying "any minute". Of course, I got all this information second hand via my cell phone. I was off at work 3 hrs away hoping that if something did happen I would be able to make it back in time.

On Friday, June 19th I got back home from work in Charlotte. Dawn had a list of things that we needed to get done and she was wanting to get out of the house for a little bit. My mother had come down to look over things(Thanks Momma!), but you know how things go. A little tension and some misplaced silverware... Nevermind. But she needed to get out.

She started getting more frequent contractions and decided it was time for us to go home. We tried to eat some dinner and Dawn decided she'd go take a bath. It was about 15 minutes later that she decided we needed to get to the hospital because she was getting uncomfortable.

We got to the hospital and everything went much smoother than planned. Dawn was on the fence about medication, but at around midnight she decided that everything would be better with it. Things calmed down for a bit with continual Nurse checks and the occasional Dr poking around. The professionals decided to start everything at about 5:45am. There was none of the movie dramatics. Dawn did very well and was able to do everything the Drs and Nurses wanted her to do.

At about 6:30am we had Haiden. It was something that we'd been wating for. All the worry was over. Everything went perfectly. From a 3rd person perspective it was a non-event. It was a routine medical procedure that went as planned. For us it was something that would change everything.


My family was able to be there for us. My Mom and Sister were already in town and my Dad and Kay were there by 11am form Asheville.


Looking back on it from over a year in the future, it is the happiest day in my life. I had no idea at the time how much it would change the things around me and change me. The older she gets, the more I love and care about her and the more important this day is to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment